--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sullivan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The difference in this example is.... the RSS Feed is not utilizing
the item
> 'enclosure' to syndicate the video away from the blog post....
instead the
> RSS Feed is used to alert a subscribing audience that their is a new
video
> and story posted.  Users follow the permalink and watch the video on
the web
> site.   The business logic in doing this supports the idea that web
traffic
> is more important and an executive decision is made to assure that
traffic
> to the site is maximized.  Revenue depends on it.... through sponsor
ads and
> the such.
>
> So here we have a situation where RSS is used, just not with
enclosures or
> mRSS or any XML spec that allows for easy media attachments so
aggregators
> can download them.
> What we have here is definately a blog and definately a videoblog.
>
> What is missing is the vodcast/podcast.

Actually, I may start doing the exact same thing with LeanBackVids and
Ridertech... The reason being that iTunes and the video iPod have made
"video podcasting" too expensive.

Starting last week, the Podcasting page within the iTunes Music Store
began featuring a promo for "Surf, Skate & Snow Videos".  We got
listed, but we were not as visible as the top four on this page...

http://tinyurl.com/9l5h9
(Note, this is an iTunes link)

Of course the numbers started to rise immediately, but there was a big
jump on Christmas Day.  Within the last two days, we've served up over
100 GBs of data and will probably exceed our monthly hosting cost by
$100.  However, other sites that were featured have already been shut
down for going way over their limits.

Of course we could host the videos on a free service, but I have no
plans of ever doing so.  Don't ask, it is a personal "belief" and the
reasoning is best suited for another thread.

Anyways, so this brought me to the thought of RSS minus the media
enclousures.  It would shut out the iTunes users and promote site
traffic (and hopefully comments).

Other than free hosting we could pursue sponsorship or advertising,
but I just don't see the market evolved enough for that.

We'll see, just thinking things out right now.  Too much of a good
thing may kill me this holiday season.

-Matt
http://vlogmap.org
http://leanbackvids.com