cf/x is a pretty neat company to give a little more kick to iMovie.

They (along with many other companies) make iMovie plugins. You can d/l and test them for free. I have the chroma key effect. It cost $3.50. Its clunky but it works.

Since you just cited two effects, for under $10, you could be set up with chroma key and crop.

In terms of this not being free, even free software often depends on (or hopes for) people to pitch in a few bucks.