Friday, January 6, 2006, 3:13:49 PM, Pete Prodoehl wrote:
> This is just a personal opinion, but I tend to look down on companies
> that do releases like that. I know that Mac OS X and Linux operating
> systems have less users than Windows, but it always comes off as an
> afterthought type of insult: "Windows now! Mac later, Linux ever more
> later..."

But if the alternative is making all those PC users wait while the
minority versions are developed, wouldn't that be just as bad (or
worse)?

One of the open-source software mantras is "release early, release
often". The idea being that the sooner you can get _anything_ in the
hands of real users, the sooner you can begin learning about how the
product is really used, what's most important, and how it can be
improved.

If it makes you any feel any happier, consider the PC users as the
guinea-pigs - testing the software so that the wrinkles have been
ironed out by the time it is made available to the Mac/Linux
cognoscenti ;)

--
Frank Carver   http://www.makevideo.org.uk