hi lisa,

below is the reply from yahoo, whatdya think?

Dear Pete,

Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

The opt-out feature does not modify the cookies on your computer.
However, Yahoo! web beacons do utilize cookies, which is the reason
why the opt-out feature only applies to specific browsers.

In general, any electronic image viewed as part of a web page,
including an ad banner, can act as a web beacon. For more
information about how Yahoo! uses web beacons, we encourage you to
visit our Privacy Center,located at:

   http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Have a nice day, Pete!

Regards,

James Jackson

Yahoo! Customer Care