Everyone, for a quick and entertaining clip of Ron doing the frisbee
thing with his dog at the 2005 Purina Incredible Dog Challenge check
out the following url. He's the last competitor of like 4 and one the
event. Highly entertaining... most kick ass dog vlog evar. :)

http://www.purina.com/Downloads/Podcasts/Events/IDC2005/
Freestyle_Disc_E.mp4
Duration: 8:13

Eastern Regional – Flying Disc
Wed, 04 Jan 2006 14:00:38 -0600
Every bit as much fun for the dog and handler as it is to watch, this
freestyle event highlights the creativity of dog and handler.

BTW everyone, the feed in case you want to subscribe is below... a
tremendous amount of high qualities videos.
http://www.purina.com/Downloads/Podcasts/Events/IDC2005/
idc2005_regional.xml

I can't believe Purina has their own video podcast, I'm stoked about
it. Love to see how video blogging is giving so called "alternative"
sports which seem to be well outside of mainstream a marketplace and
a distribution system... stuff that you're not going to find on
standard TV or even Cable unless you pay for a couple hundred channels.

I'm not going to subscribe to it, well... maybe I will. I'm
definitely going to put it in the Mefeedia database.

BTW, Ron, it's great to see you in action. Did you consult on them
with this video podcast and have you ever thought about just dropping
this in your own vlog feed so people can just subscribe and get your
appearances instead of you having to specifically point them out via
email or some such?

Ummm... some bitching about accessibility...

On a side note that Purina's flash site... oye! I'm not a huge fan of
the monolithic flash apps... being as how I'm an advocate of actually
being able to access things.  I in fact had to subscribe to their
podcast in itunes... get info ant then type in the url in order to
find the feed and then go through the feed to find the ipod
compatible mp4... it's like WTF I hate you apple and purina.. why you
gotta make me jump through unnecessary hoops? :)

But of course I don't hate them, they just need to learn to stop
whomping on their customers because this is an economy of information
where accessibility rules the day... and in fact they would get their
videos viewed by 100x as many people if they put it on an open
accessible web page with an open accessible feed and used something
like feedburner.com to generate all the proper RSS (full mRSS and RSS
2.0, instead of just apple crap)... which would submit it to yahoo
video search and ping all the major blog search and tracking
services ...but then heh! ...everyone knows I'm just a cranky ole'
vlogger fart. :)

Maybe Purina doesn't want their video to be seen and ACCESSED by as
many potential fans as possible... maybe their not doing it for
advertising, marketing and exposure to current and potential fans...
to the "long tail" of pet lovers and dog food purchasers...  maybe
they just went through all the trouble to put it online so a very few
select people could see it and think they were "hip" and "with it" or
something, not actually so it can be seen or heard by as many people
as possible. Like it's not about "communication" it's about techno-
hype and techno-hippitude.  Or! maybe they didn't want people
"stealing" it... I hear that one a lot too. :)

Oh... and I'm going to take this opportunity to poke some fun at Eric
Rice for having one of the best damn Video and Audio Podcast systems
that never ever gets talked about because he collects your credit
card at the door and times you before he let's you look around his
store at the merchandise... Eric! come on, when's the last time you
went to a store and they collected your credit card at the door and
said.. you've got 7 minutes otherwise we're automatically charging
you $5.  It's all about open access people... how do you get seen in
an universe where information is so abundant it's warfare?! Buy even
more ads!  NO!  You make your self accessible for christ sake! It's
free!

I'm sure Eric Rice's Audioblog.com service was "accessible enough"
when he first rolled it out a couple years ago or so... and what the
hell I'm sure it'll be "profitable enough" if he keeps going with it
the way he is... but in this world where we make the rules we need to
be asking ourselves not how accessible does it have to be... but how
open and accessible can I make it... and let me tell you... using
eric's audioblog.com as a guinea pig... eric's not going to loose any
money if he allows anyone to come in and play with audioblog.com and
post a few trial podcasts or vlogs with limited distribution, say 100
downloads so they can try out the system... more than likely they'll
get hooked and realize that at $5 a month it's an amazing hot damn
deal!  More though... it'll get them dabbling and playing with it...
and talking... and recommending.  Or... he can keep putting out press
releases about cool new things like their new support for ipod
compatible mp4 video in which everyone says yeah... that's cool and
then goes back to their life because they don't use and aren't going
to pay the $5 to check out how cool is really is...   It's the great
god damn pay wall of china! The curse iron curtain of russia... know
knowlege of said functions behind this wall shall ever become public!

Can you imagine if ebay didn't allow you to search until you set up
an account with a credit card?  Why do people go nuts about having to
signup with the NYTimes just to read a freaking story... and not
about Eric's Audioblog.com?  Because noone knows about the damn
audioblog.com?  Maybe I should start a poll!   Who hear has ever used
audioblog.com? Who hear knows that audioblog.com does video?  Who
hear knows what formats of video it supports? Who here has even heard
of audioblog.com before this email.. Now... Who hear has ever used
blip.tv? What can you tell me about blip.tv?  Who hear has ever used
Youtube! What do you know about Youtube?  Any other services I should
include in this poll?  I'll guarentee you audioblog will come out
dead fucking last in awareness!

Doh! Whatever! I give up. Eric's a stubborn mo fo!

And Eric... change the goddam name already!

LOL!

... and you're destroying you damn first movers advantage!

It's tuff love baby!

Sorry, I just get cranky when I see such cool stuff, almost make it
and then just fail miserably.  Ron, if you know someone over there at
Purina I'd be happy to lend my expertise as to best practices to
search-ability and accessibility. It's my pleasure to share my
freakish aptitude and detailed insight into the how and why of such
issues and would be happy to offer my expertise free of charge just
to see their video podcast not suck for them.  In fact I have a good
mind to run their feed through feedburner and instantly increase
their exposure 1000 fold... take that you unknowingly inaccessible
brilliant fools!

Peace,

-Mike

Michael Meiser