BTW, I've had the opportunity to try out the Apple iTunes "convert to
ipod" feature for video. As a test I converted one feature length
movie that had already been ripped from DVD as an mp4 yet was too
high res for the ipod. iTunes converted it to a m4v in about 12 hours
and it was about 700 mb. COnsidering this is my shit kicker 400 mhz
g4 server and it's running all sorts of media tools and aggregation
stuff I think it did quite well. In fact I think it was much better
than iSquint.

My only complaint is that apple needs import settings for video, not
just audio. I'd much prefer mp4 and I'd much prefer being able to
create a much larger size... say as high as 720 wide.

BTW, I also like that Apple creates a queue of videos to convert....
not sure wether you can stop and restart this queue if you want to
quit iTunes of restart, my guess is not, but good enough. You can
just let it plug away in the background as other things are going on.

This will likely be very handy for converting old viral videos and
old vlog posts. Pretty sweet.

Oh, one other big problem I haven't figured out yet... It doesn't
seem to work with AVI's at all... or WMV or Real. iTunes won't even
allow them into the library. I don't know if this will change after I
install the DIVX QT component or... if I could find some sort of WMV
QT component I'd be one hell of a happy camper!  There has to be a
way to import WMV's into Quicktime or Final Cut.  Anyone?

I haven't been doing as much video editing as most of the people
here. This would really be dreamy. Being able to put ALL my videos
not just standard QT formats in iTunes... and being able to convert
them to m4v or mp4 for the iPod... McDreammy.

On a side note it's recently occured to me that I'm going to be so
sad when the next iPod video comes out... perhaps I bought to early.
I can almost guarentee the next ipod will have a) a bigger and wider
format screen... b) will do much higher resolution videos.

There might be the opportunity that the ROM will be updated on this
generation to support higher res formats but it's unlikely do to
hardware limitations... I have infact somehow gotten atleast one
video on the ipod, where the ipod couldn't keep up with the data rate
and it'd skip in fast action scenes... not sure how that happened.

My guess for the next video iPod would be a device the same size but
with nearly one whole side being a screen... a TOUCH screen that uses
mouse gestures and graphics to replicate the click wheel for both
volume and scrubbing.... touch screen menus too :)  This by the end
of 2006 and possibly much sooner. ...   MY other guess the fabled
"networked ipod".... with direct aggregation from the web of things
subscribed to in the online web store.... but that's a bit much of a
dream. Possible... but unlikely.

Peace,

-Mike

On Jan 16, 2006, at 3:52 AM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:55:09 +0100, Enric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> right... you had to drag the stuff in and it automatically converts.
>> But it still had to convert. Its just that the interface was simple
>> and intuitive. I would think that iTunes will try to make the process
>> roughly the same for video on the iPod.
>>
> Perhaps I confused what Andreas was saying.  I thought he meant
> software authors should only provide two codecs and have the user
> figure out the rest.  He may have meant a content authors, in which
> case I'm mistaken.

Yes, I meant content authors. The videoblogger should only ever have to
provide one, perhaps two formats (because Apple and Microsoft will never
think what's best for the consumer). The user's software should
handle all
necessary conversations to make sure the content plays on that user's
external devices.

- Andreas