maybe try camstudio.org

On 1/16/06, Stephanie Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
This is not specifically vlog-related, but I need some help and you
are all very knowledgeable. I am normally a Mac/iMovie user, so this
is all a steep learning curve. Unfortunately, my deadline is tomorrow
for a finished product, so I have to leap the curve ASAP.

OK, here are the specs of my assignment:

Make a training video using Windows to be put on a DVD.

Have screencam video in it (basically, video of my desktop as I
perform various tasks).

Here's what I did and what's going wrong:
I used Windows Media Encoder to capture the screen. No problems there,
though everything ran slowly.

I used a custom encoder profile:
Screen capture, no audio.
Encode to file, no limit.
Compression:
Video encoding mode:    CBR
Audience:       1009 Kbps
Video codec:    Windows Media Video 9
Video bit rate: 1000 Kbps
Video size:     Same as video input
Frame rate:     29.97 fps
Key frame:      6 s
Image quality:  0
Buffer size:    Default
Not 2-pass encoding (which WME kept complaining wasn't possible with
screencapture)
No cropping
No video processing options
No plugins
No security

What's going wrong is that I imported these files into Windows Movie
Maker and when I preview the clip from the Collection, it's fine. When
I preview the clip from the storyboard, it's nearly impossible to
view-- the text is fuzzy and bitmappy. A screen shot of the storyboard
is available here, but I can't get the collection to screenshot
properly-- it appears to not want to take an accurate screenshot
(probably playing video via plugin?):

View from the Storyboard:
http://www.scottrell.com/personal/images/FromStoryboard.png

So, the question is: Should I worry about this Collections preview
issue? Is it just previewing badly, but will show up fine in the final
rendering?

I might add: the generated .avi from these files (I tested it), so
far, has not impressed me-- they appear to be very jumpy. When I
import them into Roxio, they appear to smooth out, but I haven't
actually burned the DVD yet to see how well it plays.

Help? Suggestions? Tips and tricks? Please don't tell me to use
iMovie. I can't take the screencam except on the windows box, and the
screencam software saves as WMV.

If all else fails, I will bring the Mac laptop tomorrow and try to
convert everything to .mov and use iMovie, but tomorrow's my last day
here, and I needed these training videos to be done by then.

Thanks in advance,
--Stephanie

--
Stephanie Bryant