> On Jan 16, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:
>
>> interesting, since apps like fireANT's main benefit is
>> downloading  management which is most valuable  if the video is
>> larger (download overnight or while doing other things).
>> if you are a fan of smaller chunks, then you could prob be happy
>> watching videos on the web, no?
>
> No. I am a fan of small chunks... but lots of them from lots of
> different places and the ability to easily switch between them and
> manipulate them, etc. Viewing video on the web never seems to allow me
> to interact this way.
>
> -Josh

Ultimately... and we talked about this in the way back at the
beginning of the mRSS (aka. media RSS) initiative... I'd love to see
content strung together in RSS so it would play in an order... so it
didn't need to be compiled together into one video... so you could
have to minutes of video A... and then do a personal seguay with
another video clip to introduce the third clip... the probelem is in
preserving the integrity of that stream.

Lucas Gonze promoted his playlist fromat XSPF or whatever it's
called... and that works well for mp3's but there's still a huge
problem with two factors.

a) XSPF is not supported for aggregation... I know of no way to
attach it or enclose it with all the videos it references in RSS so
they can all be downloaded and the playlist reconstructed on the
client side.

b) The XSPF format is best with mp3 because there are just tooo many
audio formats... there's just no way to 1) stream video as
consistently as mp3 from different sources... 2) play back videos in
different formats consistently in any playback tool.

Essentually there needs to be a better open markup, a container, for
maintaing the integrity and the relationship of videos over
aggregation and that tools like fireant that support this container
and all the video formats it might contain.

Essentially apple's SMIL format is one such container... but it has
it has many of the same faults as XSPF.

BTW, correct me if I'm misrepresenting the XSPF playlist format, I'm
no expert on it.

-Mike