Its probably not stretched vertically, but rather squashed horizontally.

Ive got a differnt SOny HDV camera but I believe the reason behind
this is the same. The 16:9 HDV footage is captured at 1440x1080
resolution, but to playback at the correct aspect ratio, it should be
displayed at 1920x1080.

So encoding software that doesnt know the aspect ratio is 16:9, may
make a mistake with final resolution. For example if I wanted to
encode HDV to half resolution, it should be 960x540, not 720x540. If I
want to encode to full resolution it should be 1920x1080 not 1440x1080.

Maybe you have a different problem, but this could well be your
problem. What resolution are you encoding to? What encoder?

Cheers

Steve of Elbows