My first reaction is: wow, you sound really angry. But I'll give you
that... four jobs? That sucks.

My second reaction is, well, Andrew already covered this:
http://www.dembot.com/007809.html

The point is, videoblogging is scalable. As soon as our $15/month
account couldn't hold us any more, we were at the point where we could
have started putting up ads, accepting sponsorships, just generally
bringing in money to support server costs. We didn't do this, because
we wanted to do things in a very specific way, a way that Andrew had
saved up for years to make happen.

Your claims about Andrew's trust fund and his "top-tier contacts from
elite schools" are almost as bizarre as your earlier claim in a

For the record, we spend $0 on promotion-- unless time spent producing
our videos equals time spent "promoting"? And time, of course, equals
money? I can see that, but I think our "about page" is much more
literal.  We don't spend money on advertising or a PR person, that's
what that statement on our site is all about. The fact is, we have
never sent out a single e-mail promoting our site, aside from ones to
this list. We spend our time making videos.

As for server costs, the beauty of having a big site is that servers
want to host you for discounted rates or even for free. Are you now
claiming to know about our relationship with our server?

If you want to talk hits, we get over half a million of those per day.
We know that number is different from the 150,000 number, which is a
reoccurring audience that comes every day, regardless of fluctuations.

Give it a rest.

Thanks for all the support everyone re: CSI and the ebay auction!!!!!!!!!!

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jen Simmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  From the Rocketboom about page:
> "we spend $0 on promotion, relying entirely on word-of-mouth, and close
> to $0 on distribution because bandwidth costs and space are so
> inexpensive."
>
> Yeah, right.
>
> 3 dedicated servers with 12 terabytes of data transfer are
> "inexpensive" for us all.
> - or rather -
> Rocketboom costs "close to $0" in that "I don't have to make money
> cause I live off my trust fund"-kind-of-a-way.
>
> It drives me nuts that Andrew perpetually insists that he makes the
> show for free or close-to-free. It's cheaper than ABC World News
> Tonight -- for sure!  That's what should be celebrated, not this idea
> that any kid in the barrio should be able to make Rocketboom with their
> bus money (if they even have 85 cents for the V�a bus). I'm working
> four jobs to pay the rent, and while I'd like to work on my videoblog
> show all day every day, 3 to 4 hours a week is the most I ever get --
> not 5 x 8-10-hour days, working with a collaborator I've hired.
> Promotion is $0?? Again, only to someone who doesn't understand that
> _all_ time is money when you freelance, and that top-tier contacts from
> elite schools and an Manhattan address are not free.
>
> Oh, and maybe someone can explain to Andrew the difference between hits
> and individual viewers. 150,000 hits does not equate to 150,000 people.
>
> just my rant of the day... I'll shut-up and go back to grading, so I
> can hopefully write up some bids before I crash, and get up tomorrow to
> go teach again... and maybe one of these days I'll have half a day to
> work on my films.
>
> jen
>

> >  Here is the quote from Andrew:
> >  >>>To provide a reference point for the conversation, Rocketboom
> >  currently uses 1 dedicated 100mbs server on Dreamhost to handle the
> >  database and webpages alone and 2 dedicated 100mbs servers on
Datagram