Yes, it began almost 20 years ago on the video editing side.  We're still very far from solving half the problem, after spending hundreds of millions in R&D.

:-(

On Feb 12, 2006, at 7:20 AM, videoblogging@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Message: 20

   Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:43:28 -0000

   From: "Enric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Re: Dabble for net video

The path has begun.

   ;)

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Mike Lanza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I agree with Josh's skepticism about remixing as a feature.  I agree

that the results can be very cool, but I think it's quite difficult

to do for most users.  There are two challenges here for service

providers:

1) helping users choose appropriate clips to mix into a given video

2) helping users decide where to place the "remix video" into the

original video, as well

      as the in and out points of the remix video (video editing 101)

Remixing seems easy until you try it yourself.  Take someone else's

video (not one you've thought a lot about) and find other videos that

might complement it somehow.  Find the in point on the first video,

then find the in and out point for the mix-in video.  Repeat that

step a few times.

I'm not saying this is rocket science, but I don't see this as

something that average web users will be doing either.  It's video

search *plus* basic video editing.  Today, we're just starting to see

halfway decent attempts at video search, and lots of great companies

have been beating their heads against the wall for over a decade

trying to enable average computer users to edit videos.

Then, the remix service would have to put both of these together into

one easy-to-use interface.  I'm not holding my breath...