Sure, with the crappy web video user interface we have today (play/pause + slider), it's no surprise that people prefer to watch TV programs on TVs.  TV programs were made for TV sets.  What's so surprising to me, actually, is how high the numbers are for computers given this fact and the fact that the present web video UI is sooo bad.

I and some colleagues working on a startup devoted to making a better web video interface.  By "better" we mean *much* more interactive and participative.  The fact that the current web video UI is sooo out of step w/ the rest of the web culture is the problem we aim to solve.  What users will end up with are videos that are far more discoverable (without clicking "Play" and waiting) and alive (in that they enable viewers to add valuable content to them).  It shouldn't be too long before you're able to check this out yourselves...  ; )

Once we all have web video UIs like what my colleagues and I are working on, I think the numbers of people interested in viewing video on computers will shoot up far beyond what's reported in that study...

The huge value of computers over TVs is that they are far more "programmable" so that they can adapt to user needs.  As TVs come to be powered more by computers (the way we think of computers - not a closed architecture system), these benefits will transfer to TVs as well.  However, at that point, we're at that "convergence point" that everyone is looking forward to.

On Feb 16, 2006, at 10:47 AM, videoblogging@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Message: 9

   Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:27:30 -0500

   From: Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Re: Survey users prefer watching video on TV

This survey is a juxtaposition that discards differences of Video originally

intended for TV or Theatres and that which is more native to a

computer/internet (vlogs).  Primarily, typical length of online video being

less than 10 minutes verses 20-50 minutes TV programs.

"young people are unlikely to want to use a device as versatile and

interactive as the PC to do something as passive as TV watching. In many

ways, PC-generation users use the TV to relax from their PC activities"

Yes, people like to watch TV on TV.

What a shock ;-)

Yeah, we'll see an increased interest in watching online video on TV as

well... I know that.

Apple and their new mac mini should open up more interest in this too.

But their will always be a vast number of people watching video on their

puters and on the web and on portable devices.  This wont change and will

increase in fact.

Wolpin believes the industry is missing a key revenue opportunity by not

focusing on getting web-based video to the TV.

Please.  How is it a missed opportunity when looking forward this

opportunity will still be sitting their? I'd even say it has been too early

for the opportunity to garner the type of benefit and money that it will

over the next 5 years.  Nothing being missed here.... unless you consider

corporate deal-making and exclusive contracts 'the opportunity' but more

likely such contracts will be short-termed as multiple outlets are better

than 1 or a few (for content owners like NBC etc).

People who like and even need passive TV watching no matter what the content

are prob always going to prefer the couch and TV.  But they have little to

do with the culture of videoblogging.... or the more broad culture of viral

video and contagious media.  More and more content creators emerge or

migrate to the Internet.  Video will be as common as text on the web.  It

will always be a normal part of the online experience.  It's all inevitable.

Do you want to watch a video clip captured from a cell phone on a TV?  Or a

vlog video formatted for 320x240?  It will be more aggressive productions

that will cater to the TV platform and that people will want to see on TV

more so than other cases... not absolutely, but generally.  Point- most

online video is best viewed on a puter, on the web, on a portable device.

These are smaller vids, easier to make, more viral and distributable....

than a vid that would prob need to be hundreds of mbs or gbs to look and

sound proper on a TV.... and if its not, it takes away from the content

itself and the viewing experience is damaged.

This all isnt to say that the TV device is bad for the culture of content

creators.  Its good and as soon as 'the network' can handle the load of

higher quality digital video being published by millions... then i'll buy

into it more.  For now, it will be good because new content can be made

available that normally would never get past the intermediaries and

broadcasted...

That's cool...  "This or

That"<http://thisorthat-video.blogspot.com/2006/02/bunny-luv-makes-cake.html>comes

to mind.  So it's all good.  More variety, more options for when I am

actually in the mood to watch my TV (not often these days).

I just dont think it is or should be or will be ALL about the TV device.

Especailly the TV device of today.  I look forward to when TiVo becomes a

more bloggy platform.  Will be interesting.

sull