Susan wrote:
> Sounds like we need the creation of a "visit counter" that combines
> both "physical page hits," if you will, and RSS pings...
>
> Thoughts?

I host my videos at ourmedia.org, but through the magic of some code and
the 302 Found header, I have two cgi's on my site that I use to redirect
to the videos. One is called hit.cgi and the other is enclose.cgi - I
use the hit one in the videoblog post, and the enclose one in the feed.
What these do is record clicks in my logs before doing a redirect to the
actual video.I had hoped to get some idea of how many people view via
the site versus the feed, but one of the problems is all of the sites
out there that read the RSS feed and then display the video on the page.
I still get some idea by the numbers, but that seems to skew the
enclose/feed number a bit.

Here is an example of the stats I see.

reqs: file
----: ----
60
/enclose.cgi/http://www.archive.org/download/Training_Video/20060204trainingvideo.mov
32
/hit.cgi/http:/www.archive.org/download/Training_Video/20060204trainingvideo.mov

Note that I've wanted to build a pretty interface for this, but for now
I just look at the Analog report.

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/