On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 01:57:21PM -0500, Josh Leo wrote:
> Let's take GETV for example.
> They started in November of 2005. Their vlog consists of interviews with the
> "big name" people of the blogosphere that they meet at conferences or in San
> Francisco. Somehow their subscription numbers have shot up very quick. This
> is most likely because the people who are most interested in that
> information are also the people who are using RSS aggregators the most. It
> is somewhat simple reflexive system, if you talk about bloggers, then
> bloggers will talk about you and subscribe to your blog.

Most are not big name, but yes, we do have easy access to some well
known geeks in SF. You have discovered our little secret, cover people
with blogs and they cover you. I'm sure that most of our viewers are
geeks or geekily inclined and that probably does translate to RSS
subscriptions. We do get another 1000 or so views directly from the
website within a few days of a new vid posting, though our blip stats are
totally skewed because of the MSBITS problem.

> Rocketboom seems to dwell in this realm, but at times drifts out into the
> greater world of the internet, I am sure that their forays into the quirky
> snags them a different audience that views content differently (not using
> RSS)

Agreed, but Rocketboom also has a clean inviting interface to view
episodes in a browser. Even though I consume most vlogs via RSS, I
always go to Rocketboom's site to see them.  Maybe it's the easy
access to comments which for me is a big part of the experience.

> I believe that if someone made a videoblog about hiking, their content would
> most likely not be viewed via RSS but my singular page views
>
> RSS is still unknown to the rest of the world, most people I know don't even
> know what an aggreagator is. Many of my friends who have blogs on Xanga or
> Blogger don't even know what a feed is or that they even have one...

I think this fast changing. People don't have to know the terms
'aggregator' or 'RSS feed' to know that itunes is a way to listen and
watch audio and video content.

> I guess this just goes to show that subscribers is not popularity of
> content, but popularity of content within a select group of people who use
> RSS, therefore the topics that get the most subscribers are the ones that
> are geared more towards the blog/tech/gadget side of the spectrum...

Possibly, but look at the top itunes podcasts. Some of the "video podcasts" that
bubble up to the top are: Strong Bad Email, Tiki Bar TV, Happy Tree Friends,
Vintage ToonCast.

> Screw subscription numbers, just make content!!!

Totally!

-eddie