Deirdre Straughan wrote:

>Is it still true that I also need to register at IA? Probably I did that
many moons ago when I first registered on Ourmedia, but I don't remember
whether I did, and I have no way of knowing except to go back and try to
figure out what username-password combo I might have used back then. And I
thought that limitation was supposed to be fixed long ago?

>In the interests of fairness I'd love to get a clip hosted by Ourmedia onto
that page, but for the moment I stand defeated in my attempts.

Hi. Yes, when you register at the Archive and then at Ourmedia (or
vice-versa), your Archive email address gets saved on your Ourmedia
account settings page. They need to match (the registration emails you
use at both sites), otherwise Ourmedia won't be able to communicate
with the Archive side of things where the media is stored.

I know it's of little solace, but we'll be melding these dual
registration systems into one (finally!) by spring.

If you've spent time at other video hosting sites, you know that
uploading video over the Web is an iffy proposition (one interruption
and it stops and doesn't resume). That's why we offer Ourmedia
Publisher, a downloadable tool that should be used for any file bigger
than 20MB. If your upload is interrupted by Internet traffic, it
resumes where it left off.

Still, you're absolutely right that the site needs a major usability
overhaul, and we've begun that process.

We're always happy to help with any problems you may be having by
emailing [EMAIL PROTECTED] Often, we're able to plop in your
identifier and the media will appear within moments. If you've tried
that (we're overworked and understaffed -- but unlike youtube and
other for-profits, we're all volunteers and all unpaid), you can email
me directly: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Some of the performance issues we've had can be tied to our current
server. We've been promised bigger, better servers by two partners
since last November. They have yet to deliver, but we should have new
servers in 4-6 weeks.

"Kath O'Donnell" wrote:

>I'm using the upload tool for windows. for some reason it
doesn't upload the tags or copyright settings and a couple of other optional
settings, so I need to edit them on the page once it's finished uploading
and I have the final page url. but I just thought that was the tool being a
little buggy. I usually end up editing something anyway once I see the
published page even if this bug is not there, just to tidy up how it looks
so it's not a problem for me.

You're absolutely right, it's a bug that's been bugging me for months.
:~) Alas, no coders have volunteered to fix it. But it's at the top of
our to-fix list.

>I think IA will be around longer than most of the other free
uploading spaces atm. and apart from a few test personal videos most of my
content is archival/documentation of arts/muisc events or projects so I
don't want to have to reupload them all again in 5 years.

That's what we believe, too. The Archive will be around, possibly for
generations, while the vast majority of the 97 video hosting services
that have followed us in the past 11 months won't be.

Meantime, after we fix our current usability and reliability issues,
we have an ambitious slate of projects to advance the open
media/participatory media movement in the months ahead. As always,
we'd love to hear from volunteers who want to help out in moderating,
coding and designing the site.

Thanks for your patience. There'll be good news ahead. Hope to see you
all at Vloggercon in June!!

JD Lasica
Executive Director
Ourmedia.org, a nonprofit project to advance grassroots media