Myspace has succeeded in providing people with an online identity as a
n easy messaging interface within the Myspace ecosystem. In doing
this, they have grown astronomically. I heard a figure like 10% of all
advertising on the web is on Myspace which almost floored me. So the
traffic that one may receive on Myspace is undeniable.

Indie bands and now idie filmmakers are using Myspace as a way to
reach hundreds of thousands of people about their projects or work.
What I think is yet to be seen is if this frenetic environment that
Myspace has created will appeal to everyone.

As people have said the "geocities-like" interface is immediately a
turnoff for some. This blog actually articulates pretty well why you
would NOT want to use Myspace
http://blogs.stolenmixtape.com/mix/archives/2005/10/26/myspace-should-not-be-your-bands-only-web-presence/

I think Myspace is great for traffic, but you have very little control
over your blog outside of layout. The traffic you direct to your
profile is Myspace's traffic, some bloggers would like to some day
make money on their blog, and Myspace will NEVER allow for users to
monetize their profiles or anything in those profiles.

Also Myspace is content is not open. There are no RSS feeds to
profiles or content. So syndication outside of that environment is
impossible. We saw earlier this year when Youtube started to grow, and
the embedding of Youtube video grew on Myspace profiles, Myspace
blocked the video embedding code. They only allowed the code again
after Youtube and Myspace users wrote myspace about it. A few weeks
later Myspace released their beta video offering.

So as a content creator I can see why you would be attracted to the
sheer scale of the Myspace network, but I would definitely be worried
about Myspace controlling everything you can do within that network
and your ability to ever montetize that. The average teen doesn't care
about, but I think anyone who has content that matters would.

David
www.youare.tv
"Get your video out there."

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "filmmaker_lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>