Myspace won't go away tomorrow, but the site is still a
primarily a social means of keeping in touch and identity...as the
main users of this site (16-24)grow out of this stage I can't see them
sticking with it.

All my group of friends are on it - we're about 26-32 - about 20 of us.  Most of us are filmmakers, musicians, or some sort of artists.  The musicians swear by it, the filmmakers are either fascinated or disgusted by it, and the rest of the people like to collect friends like pogs and talk trash about each other.  We all used friendster for a while and then got bored of it - this is slightly different because it has such a critical mass of users and is now a cultural phenomenon.  If you aren't on it, you are seen as missing an opportunity.  Like I said, we're all "professional" artists so are used to selling ourselves and aren't concerned about issues of personal celebrity and all that.

-------
Brett Gaylor
http://www.etherworks.ca
http://www.homelessnation.org