On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:52:01 +0100, Andreas Haugstrup
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 01:16:10 +0100, Joshua Kinberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> While there are more redirect URLs such as you mention, its also easy
>> to include something like &type=.wmv at the end of the URL, which is
>> kind of hackish but generally works.
>
> Which will be ignored by all URL parsers since it's part of the query
> string and not the file name. You shouldn't force service providers to
> alter their URLs to a different format.

Just to be absolutely clear: I do think the type attribute should be the
gateway. Whatever software is generating the links, be it a Wordpress
plugin or a bookmarklet can insert the correct content-type without
hassle. The user doesn't ever have to know it's going on. Whether the
plugin or bookmarklet does some amount of guessing is another matter
(though I would certainly prefer a HEAD request, if text/plain is returned
it can look at the file extension).

--
Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen