Joshua Kinberg wrote:
> The other thing about iTunes/iPod is that no one else can sell
> copy-protected music for the iPod because iPod only supports Apple's
> DRM (which Apple does not allow anyone else to use). So its a
> completely closed system. No one else can sell copy-protected files
> for the iPod. You could sell non-DRM MP3 files, but often that is not
> secure enough for major companies to get on board with. So, it creates
> a monopoly. This is the kind of practice that people railed against
> Microsoft for engaging in only a few short years ago.

Sadly, we sit between a rock and a hard place. Apple made it easy to buy
audio, and (fairly) easy to remove the DRM from that audio, but the
system is still (somewhat) closed. Of course Apple is sort of between a
rock and a hard place as well, since they need to please the record
companies, and their own iTunes/iPod customers. I don't think there are
any easy answers.

Of course, as someone mentioned, you can easily purchase audio from the
iTMS, burn it to an 'audio' cd and then rip from there. Technically,
this works well, legally, they now say it's breaking the law (even
though it was previously legal.) Suxors for all of us.

Where do we fit in? Well, with podcasting we tried our hardest to make
sure we used a non-DRM semi-open format (mp3) so with videoblogging, can
we do the same? Should we do the same?

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/