I haven't gotten Vegas to compress even decently.

What I do is export a basically uncompressed vegas file in mov, then recompress that .mov file in Sorenson (though other have good results using Quicktime Pro as a compressor).

What final format do you want (mov, wmv, etc) ?

Let me know how it comes out!