Hello,

On 3/20/06, Susan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I can't help but think it's kind of creepy that they can tell when
we've fast-forwarded through a commercial...

In advertising you "measure" how effective an ad campain is.  For a non-TV example, you might be trying to get people to purchase a product, and you might give out coupons to try to see how effective your advertising camplain is.  I.e., people who bring in the coupon probably were affected by the advertising campain.  ("Measurement" techniques can be alot more complex than this.)

If you steadly find that TV commercials are becoming less and less effective, you'd start try to figure out what's happening.  They're probably taking an educated guess that it's because of DVRs, DVDs, iTunes Video etc, based on decreasing "effectiveness" of TV commercials.

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca