Two weeks ago there was what I think may turn out to be a significant
milestone in the world of video mashups. It didn't receive any mention
on this list (because we've all been running around like crazy), but I
thought some of you may want to know about it.

Shortly before the South by Southwest Music Festival, Outhink, IODA
(the Independent Online Distribution Alliance) and Ourmedia joined
forces to sponsor a video mashup event. Five indie music labels agreed
to have one of their bands' songs used as the music track for a video
mash-up.

I invited a half-dozen videobloggers from this list to participate,
and Ryanne Hodson, Josh Leo, Steve Garfield, Annaliese Rittershaus and
I wound up producing 2- to 5-minute video shorts. The rules were
minimal: grab whatever video footage or photos you've shot, or public
domain or CC-NC licensed material, and mix into a visual collage that
works with the music.

We then showed them to the bands and labels, and they were blown away.
So was I. I was especially fascinated by the three different
treatments of the same song by three vloggers.

As I told The Herms, why pay a director $100,000 to make a music video
when you can get talented vloggers to do it free, or cheap? Outhink
hopes to facilitate a media remix marketplace that brings together
different constituencies -- say, a band looking for a talented remix
artist could come to a site to check out his past mashups -- and,
eventually, there should be a commercial marketplace for these kinds
of talents.

Check them out on the Outhink Media Showcase site:

http://www.outhink.com/mediashowcase/showcase.htm

or on my blog here:
http://www.newmediamusings.com/blog/2006/03/mashups_showcas.html

jd lasica