Hi Nate,
That rock sculpture building with MC looks amazing. What is your
compression methodology? Can you walk us through your compression
path please?

On the talk with Jon I see you are using copyrighted Neil Young music
to mess up the longevity due to copyright violation. Also didn't
eleminate the top and bottom black bands - IE didn't CROP unnecessary
bandwidth off top and bottom, thus making the posted file bigger than
it needed to be. While the rock building at 640 x 360 will load on
the Video iPod, the car talk @ 720 x 480 will not. Why didn't you
crop it to the iPod max of 640 x 360 so it would? Was that before you
knew about iPod compatible maximum dimensions? It's also too dark due
to light from rear window fooling it to close down the iris more than
would have been preferable. Is there no backlight switch or was there
no way to manually open up the iris further or manually increase the
gain?

The above two great overall though. At 6MB a minute it's very a
impressive compression scheme.

But what happened with the racing piece? It is often times way out of
focus and the compression looks way inferior. While you got it back
to the Video iPod compatible 480 x 271, it is fairly funky looking
compared to the other two. Is that because the HC-1 fails when it
comes to action? Or is that a worse-higher compression scheme before
you got better at it with the other two later? I see it's only 3MB a
minute and a much smaller 480 x 271. How did you come to that
dimension in the compression-crop step?

Are you using Handbrake or what? Would you mind critiquing each of
these videos and how you got them to the web condition from the HDV
recordings? Thanks.

Thanks for being an HDV HC-1 pioneer Nate. Your work is very important.

I'm posting this on the HDV Yahoo list as well.

--
Taylor Barcroft
URL http://FutureMedia.org