Hey Bre,

> What are the tricks and tips for a great video interview?

When I  work with kids interviewing adults for 4-H Network News, I have the interviewee "feed" the young interviewer each question and shoot the q&a as seprate scenes.  There are times when a question is shot 6-8 times before it is said correctly.

A couple of weeks ago we walked in cold to interview a spokesperson for the local Red Cross during a disaster training exercise . We used  a single spotlight clipped to a 6 foot light stand, a wireless hand held mike and a mono pod. The interview was edited together by the 13 year old interviewer in 20 minutes and presented to members of the Red Cross after their meeting. There are some ruff spots in the piece, but you can learn from the mistakes. Our next interviews in this vein will be better.

If you do this type of interview, give yourself editing  "room" on the front and back of each scene.

Shoot a couple of  "listening shots" of yourself and the interviewee....60 minutes style.

Last weekend, we shot  "converational interviews" with local artists at an art gallery opening .  We used a tripod, the single 6 foot light stand with a 75 watt spotlight,  a wireless mike and edited the piece together with "flash transitions".  It is was just a 12 minute  stream of consciousness that was edited down to around 8 minutes.

If you have time to prepare, write up a page of questions and go over the list with the interviewee before the shoot.

Shoot B-Roll after the interview.

-Jack
4-H Network News
http://4-hnews.blogspot.com