--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, John Dowdell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> David Dundas wrote:
> > Lawrence Lessig did an introductory talk at the New York Public
Library
> > about copyright law and technology on April 7, 2005.
> > He says that copyright laws stifle creativity, and democracy.  It's an
> > idea that begs the question. Would you stop creating what you
create if
> > someone could just take it and do whatever they wanted with it?
>
> Like, say, the Veoh issue...?
>

> Some folks seem to conjugate the verb "I have privacy rights, you have
> terms-of-service, he has evil DRM." Humans produce digital bits, and to
> be full citizens I think we need to respect the privacy/copyright
> decisions of others.
>
> (I think the Sonny Bono extensions to US copyright law were pretty
> bogus, but more and more I'm realizing that creativity and privacy are
> inextricably linked... if you create some digital bits, does that mean
> anyone else has the right to repurpose them? Suppose they ignore your
> precious little Creative Commons text, what recourse do you have to
that
> breach of an assumed social contract?)
>
> jd
>

> --
> John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
> Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd
> Aggregator: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/mxna
> Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/
> Spam killed my private email -- public record is best, thanks.

This is an interesting area of questions.  While a creative work in
digital form only exists because someone who created it put it out.
At the same time when a work is out in the world and available, can
what is done with it be controlled -- particularly when the work
exists in the form of reproducible copies?

At the same time, I don't think the "culture" argument is sound.
Mainly because "culture" appears to be an ill defined term and thus
somewhat meaningless.

  -- Enric
  -======-
  http://www.cirne.com