Hello,

On 4/12/06, Christian Wach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 12 Apr 2006, at 17:17, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

>>> So what's the solution that will satisfy both groups?
>
>> Ask the creator of the video/blog what they would prefer?
>
> I don't think that this can be a long term solution.  The reason is
> that it doesn't scale.

I appreciate what you're saying, Charles but...

> Imagine that you, as a vlogger, start getting 1000's of requests
> per day.  How could you possibly keep up with that?  (Especially if
> you aren't making a profit off of it?)

...if you're getting thousands of requests per day and you're *not*
making money, then why not? ;)

Some people have other motives besides monetization -- money.

For example, I tend to release alot of the software I write under the GNU GPL.  (It's a copyleft license used that's used for Free and Open Source software.)  I don't make any money off of it.  But I choose to make it Free anyways.  (I choose to do this because I believe it helps people.)

Or better yet, think of Wikipedia.  (I contribute to that too.)  It's licensed in a Free way (using a copyleft license).  They don't make any money off of it.  But they have to pay for the bandwidth they use.  (There's even videos on there too.)

Many many other re-host their content.  (And they're Free to do that.)  And embedded within Wikipedia there is all sorts of data on licensing and copyright (on every piece of text, every image, every video, etc).  Software can then automatically tell what "permissions", "requirements", and "restrictions" is has with everything and anything in Wikipedia.

> To make it scale, it needs to be automated.

And to automate, we have to hand over some of our decision-making
abilities to software. Of course, the problem with that (currently)
is the stupidity of software when it comes to context. Only humans
can properly decide context,

I wonder about some humans :-)

and only a question to one will elicit
an answer that you can guarantee fits their wishes. We're kind of
entering Turing-test territory - somewhere that no doubt the CC folks
have gone and an issue they have pondered long and hard.

I think if we accept that the author's wishes can be expressed in a license, then we can automate it.  (Just look a Wikipedia for an example.)

To illustrate, moments later you wrote in reply to Heath:

On 12 Apr 2006, at 17:21, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

>> PS this has nothing to do with the thread but has anyone else noticed
>> the "ads" at the bottom of the main page..........they are ads to
>> kill "fire ants" and such........I personally think that is funny as
>> heck........
>
> Yeah, they are pretty funny.
>
> (Most advertising techology today is NOT good at "semantic
> analysis".  I could go on about the subject... the math, the
> theory, the research... but I'll keep it to myself because I doubt
> anyone here would even be interested in the subject.)

QED :)

:-D

See ya

--