also, popup windows for embedded video has been a norm for long time.  many video art sites have always taken this approach as well as mainstream media sites.  it's obviously a fine method.
truth is, it's largely a myth on how many people actually hate 'intended' popups.  just because ad spam gave it a bad taste does not mean logically its bad UI.

the worst approach is to *only* directly link to video.
that should only be a companion link so that the video can be more easily downloaded with a 'save as'.  but to offer playback, embed either inline or in popup.

sull