Just as a point of clarification, I am commenting on the whole of
this thread and not just one part of it.  And I believe in
what "citizen" journalism can become and to be honest I don't like
what is happening to Josh.  But I don't know if in my mind I would
consider him a journalist.......

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am not sure what to think of this.......but I will say this I
don't
> think having a camera in hand and recording an event makes you
> a "journalist".....To me, the whole problem we have, as a whole, is
> that we no longer "trust" journalist's.  You can very easily make
the
> case that the era of "objective" journalism is gone.  I know I hate
> looking at the tradional meadia for the news, I don't believe
anyone
> is just "reporting" the news anymore.  There are moments that it
> happens but by in large it feels that everyone has an agenda.  That
> is why "citizen" journalist's concern me (to a degree).  I do not
> know Josh, I have never been to his site or looked at his blogs but
> he said in one of the previous posts,
>
> "I have created an excerpted video of what I saw
> observing the demonstration. I can't really say that it isn't my
> personal version of what transpired, but in a sense that's what news
> is, an observers version of what they feel has transpired."
>
> That is what bothers me, it IS his personal view of what happened
and
> NO that is NOT what journalist's should be doing.  Look I know that
> your opnion is going to creep into your work, but it doesn't mean
> that is SHOULD.  If there is to be a changing of the guard or a
stand
> so to speak on how traditional meadia reports.......then we have to
> learn again how to be objective and report on the events with no
> prejudice or bias.  Until that happens we are just people with
> cameras.........but that is just my opinon......
>
> PS I know some will say "you can't be objective" but we have to
try,
> we have to try...........
>
> Heath - Batman Geek
> http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com
>

> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Gena" <compumavengal@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hey Josh, I think the short answer is "Yes." I'm quaking with
anger
> > just reading this. You might not know who Jack Anderson was but
the
> > Feds are trying to do this to him and he's dead.
> >
> > Anderson was a journalist who was able to dig deep and find out
top
> > secret infomation. The Feds are trying to go through his
documents
> > obtain his papers and "potential" classified documents.
> >
> > More to the point, if I observe a situation that requires LAPD
> > attendence and I record it that means I can expect a visit from J.
> > Edgar's Boys? And LAPD?
> >
> > Damnation. I don't like the choices that are presenting
themselves.
> > I'm recording no matter what! Oh man, I can't think straight.
> >
> > This is what I am confused about:
> >
> > If I am documenting a situation does that not make me a
journalist?
> > Doesn't matter how I do it, via pen, photo or video. At that
point
> of
> > creation doesn't the protections of journalists come into effect?
> >
> > If I have a body of work - either paid or unpaid that demostrates
> that
> > I have done this activity for x-amount of time then I should be
> > protected under various journalism protections.
> >
> > Or if your local NBC station had the same video you did would the
> Fed
> > show up at the station door? What would the news director tell
them?

> > The label "profesional" does not matter. When the early African
> > American journalists of 1800 - 1900's could not or would not be
> > published by the existing media they created their own.
> >
> > They were not thought to be professionals by the mainstream white
> > media at the time. Didn't matter. They were representing their
> > communities that were not being servied by the publications of
the
> time.
> >
> > Are you not doing the same thing? Representing your community?
> >
> > I have to go but this post has me all shook up. This is a good
> thing.
> > Be safe Josh but do what you feel is right.
> >
> > And to our new federal lurkers,
> >
> > ...well, you know.
> >
> > Gena
> >
> > http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
> > http://voxmedia.org/wiki/Video
> >

> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Josh Wolf <inthecity@>
wrote:

> > > Should journalist Josh Wolf be afraid?
> > > The Assistant U.S. Attorney, the FBI Joint Terrorism Task
Force,
> and
> > > the SFPD want to get their hands on a video shot by a San
> Francisco
> > > blogger
> > > By Ryan Blitstein
> > >
> > > http://www.sfweekly.com/Issues/2006-04-19/news/news.html
> > > At times, Josh Wolf is a journalist. At others, he's a blogger,
> an
> > > activist, or an anarchist. At this particular time, one thing's
> for
> > > certain: He's got a videotape the federal government wants.
> > >
> > > The 23-year-old San Franciscan possesses a tape that Assistant
> U.S.
> > > Attorney Jeffrey Finigan deems essential to a grand jury
> > > investigation of a protest last July that resulted in injuries
> two
> > > San Francisco Police Department officers.
> > >
> > > To Wolf, the government subpoena of his tape represents a
threat
> > > his ability to gather news as an independent reporter. He
> believes
> > > it's yet another reel cast in a Justice Department fishing
> expedition
> > > that will stop at nothing to put his activist compatriots
behind
> bars.
> > >
> > > To the government, however, Wolf is a misguided, self-important
> young
> > > radical withholding evidence without legal justification.
> Regardless
> > > of the outcome, Wolf's predicament raises questions about how
> much
> > > information journalists should turn over to the federal
> government,
> > > and how the legal system handles those who draw little
> distinction
> > > between citizen journalism and citizen activism.
> > >
> > > Though many facts are disputed, all parties agree that Wolf
> > > videotaped a July 8, 2006, protest march in San Francisco
against
> the
> > > G8 Summit taking place in Scotland. At previous protests, Wolf
> had
> > > attended as an advocate for a cause, but this time he went as

> > > journalist, gathering footage for his videoblog, "The
Revolution
> [...]
> > > well as investigating the damage to his vehicle.
> > >
> > > Because he was videotaping Officer Wolf at the time, it's
> improbable
> > > that Josh Wolf's tape also contains footage of Shields being
hit
> on
> > > the head or of fireworks being placed under the patrol vehicle.
> The
> > > Justice Department is likely looking for something else that
may
> be
> > > on his tape, though they won't divulge what that something is.
> > >
> > > Wolf doesn't want to give up the complete, unedited version of
> the
> > > tape. He believes the federal government is indiscriminately
> > > monitoring antiwar groups under suspicion of terrorism, and as

> > > journalist he shouldn't be forced to surrender unused footage
in
> > > support of that investigation. He won't say, though, what's on
> the 15
> > > or more minutes of the confidential portion of video.
> > >
> > > Josh Wolf doesn't look like much of a revolutionary. With
> slicked,
> > > wavy hair, long sideburns, and the heels of his jeans fraying
> over
> > > Eurotrash sneakers, he seems more like a college kid (which he
> is —
> > > he'll graduate from San Francisco State this May). Yet Wolf
> believes
> > > that the "corporate media" will collapse within a decade, and,
as
> co-
> > > founder of various indie media-related projects, he hopes to
> help
> > > create the alternative that replaces it. But that future
hasn't
> > > arrived, so Wolf works as outreach director of a community
> college
> > > television station. When he realized his July protest video was
> worth
> > > something, he sold an edited version to local TV stations.
> > >
> > > A few days after the protest march, trouble arrived at his
door,
> in
> > > the form of a geeky man carrying a briefcase. "Can I ask you a
> few
> > > questions?"
> > >
> > > Wolf thought the guy was a reporter. So he opened the entrance
> gate
> > > of the building and let him in.
> > >
> > > Then the man flashed his badge: FBI.
> > >
> > > The agent, his partner, and two SFPD investigators interrogated
> Wolf
> > > for an hour and a half about the protest. He doesn't remember
> much of
> > > what they asked, other than their wanting to know who struck
> Shields.
> > > Eventually, the investigators asked for his videotape, and Wolf
> told
> > > them he had to speak with his (at the time, nonexistent)
lawyer.
> Wolf
> > > dialed the phone number ingrained in his head for years — 205-
> 1011 —
> > > the local chapter of the National Lawyers Guild. He learned
that
> the
> > > authorities needed a subpoena to force him to give up the tape.
> In
> > > February, FBI agents served him with one.
> > >
> > > Two weeks ago, Wolf's pro-bono lawyers argued a motion in
> federal
> > > court to quash the subpoena before Judge Maria-Elena James.
They