Uhhh...Gumby isnt public domain. The little guy is far from that.

http://www.gumbyworld.com/copy.htm

It looks like Veoh and their promise to rid their site of copyrighted
material was rather empty.

David
http://www.davidhowellstudios.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, WWWhatsup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't know if that's true that Gumby is public domain - it's 60's
right?

> However if stuff is in the public domain, yes one is free to make
any kind
> of derivative work, and then even copyright that work.
>
> Hence the development of such animals as the GPL in order to ensure
> that 'free' works can only be spawned into further 'free' works.
>
> joly
>
> At 03:24 PM 4/22/2006, you wrote:
> >I noticed on Veoh, they have a complete Gumby video on the home
page in the 'featured videos' section.
> ><http://veoh.com>http://veoh.com/
> >
> >I assume the particular Gumby video
<http://tinyurl.com/jruf7>http://tinyurl.com/jruf7 is public domain
because Michael Eisner is featuring it, along with a couple of
complete Superman videos that I have seen tagged as public domain on
the Archive before.

> >Since I am then allowed to use the public domain video of Gumby to
create or recreate my own work, or version, wouldn't that mean that I
may also freely refashion Gumby for a contemporary world? In
otherwords, if I am able use the video myself to make my own video, I
would make a new Gumby out of the old Gumby. I would use the music in
the video, mash the likeness, reshape him a bit physically speaking,
but would especially make his psyche much different; he would do and
say different kinds of things and have different body behaviors, for
instance. I might have some plans to add a couple of permeant
deformations to his walk and give his a few classic behavioral
problems, for instance. Gumby himself could change and evolve instead
of be trapped in time, the way he is now. Perhaps I could give the new
Gumby away for free and encourage others to take him and develop him.
Gumby could be reborn into a global star!

> >Would I be allowed to do all of the above with my public domain
Gumby without getting into trouble with the Gumby trademark and other
later, non-public domain Gumby stuff claimed to be owned entirely by a
private entity?
> ><http://tinyurl.com/mgu4q>http://tinyurl.com/mgu4q
> >
> >I would assume that somehow, I would not be able to reshape Gumby,
even if I did it all with the materials that I got from the public
domain Gumby video.

> >Surely, there is a conflict here and I would assume there is a
simple answer that has already been worked out legally. Does anyone
know what that would be?

>              WWWhatsup NYC

Fireant Individual Use