I'm wondering whether to chime in now, or wait and watch this discussion go for a while more. I find it fascinating.

Kevin is fine and well. Probably tired and overwhelmed since it's the end of the semester, but he's otherwise perfectly fine. I just saw him this afternoon in class.

I don't know if he meant the video as a "hoax" -- or a mean trick. I'd expect it was more of an experiment to see what would happen. It's definitely in the "vlog dangerously" theme that Stephanie started for videoblogging week. Perhaps this is over the edge for many of you?? Did Kevin stretch things too far? And cross some line into something unacceptable??

He's got two more posts due for class (one today that's late and one next Monday) so I'm not sure what he has planned... perhaps it would have made more sense for this to be his last post (if in fact he's planning to abandon the vlog after the semester is over).

Mostly I'm interested in hearing more discussion about whether or not it was "okay" for him to post such a video. What buttons did he push? If you are offended or upset or disturbed or frightened or disgusted... then why? What is it exactly that caused your reaction? If you aren't any of those things, but have other strong feelings, what is your reaction? What do you think that's about??

And, well, thanks for all the sympathies and concern. Kevin's not on this email list, but I've forwarded him (and several other people) the link to the web-based archive, so hopefully he will chime in. You can also post comments on his blog!

jen

jenSimmons
http://www.jensimmons.com
On Apr 24, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Michael Sullivan wrote:

still waiting for Jen Simmons to chime in, as she apparently taught him how to vlog.

On 4/24/06, Andy Carvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com , Josh Wolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is interesting, given that there is a video that revolves
around a
> funeral only weeks before this video, I am not disinclined to think
> that this is a joke. At the same time, it is possible that the video
is
> real, and assuming that it may, perhaps, be a joke is probably
> insensitive to some extent.
>
> Josh

I agree that simply assuming it's a hoax is perhaps a bit insensitive
or callous, but wondering whether it's a hoax is understandable. There
have been countless strange stunts on the Internet, and given Kevin's
particular body of work, it almost has to cross your mind. Whether
it's a hoax or not, it's probably just a matter of time before it
catalyzes a media debate about the limits of Web 2.0 in relation to
appropriateness, responsibility, news, art, etc...

andy