I have to agree with Jen on this.  While I was personally disturbed by
the movie (I have seen far too many video and still photo memorials of
people I've known and loved) the groups' reaction is quite telling
about the impact that video over the Internet is capable of.

Its also a reminder to all of us to question the source of any online
content.  Video simply needs to be added as yet another medium that
mandates personal scrutiny.  Seeing still shouldn't mean believing.

How would our opinions of this piece changed had it been littered with
subtle product placement?

As we begin to share more and more of ourselves via this medium, we'll
be exposed to a broader range of the human condition.  Along with the
wide-spread adoption of social networks as this newsgroup proved to
be, we'll likely see more disturbing footage - both real and otherwise
- that we lead to the obvious reactionaries that start shouting that
"something ought to be done!"

Hopefully, too, we'll find that the human condition is improved by the
increased exposure of real social, medical and political situations.
Perhaps those of us who are capable of broadcasting these microcosms
of society will do so to the benefit of all.

Either way, I'll be the first to admit that I was sucked into this and
spent a considerable amount of time looking at Jen's students' blogs
to find any corroborating entries.  I never found any.  I was still
inclined to believe that the footage was authentic.

Jen, would you mind commenting on what the assignment was and how Mr.
Krutz' video tied into that?

Thanks for shedding some light on this.

Aidan Owens
xicast.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jen Simmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm wondering whether to chime in now, or wait and watch this
> discussion go for a while more. I find it fascinating.
>
> Kevin is fine and well. Probably tired and overwhelmed since it's the
> end of the semester, but he's otherwise perfectly fine. I just saw him
> this afternoon in class.
>
> I don't know if he meant the video as a "hoax" -- or a mean trick. I'd
> expect it was more of an experiment to see what would happen. It's
> definitely in the "vlog dangerously" theme that Stephanie started for
> videoblogging week. Perhaps this is over the edge for many of you?? Did
> Kevin stretch things too far? And cross some line into something
> unacceptable??
>
> He's got two more posts due for class (one today that's late and one
> next Monday) so I'm not sure what he has planned... perhaps it would
> have made more sense for this to be his last post (if in fact he's
> planning to abandon the vlog after the semester is over).
>
> Mostly I'm interested in hearing more discussion about whether or not
> it was "okay" for him to post such a video. What buttons did he push?
> If you are offended or upset or disturbed or frightened or disgusted...
> then why? What is it exactly that caused your reaction? If you aren't
> any of those things, but have other strong feelings, what is your
> reaction? What do you think that's about??
>
> And, well, thanks for all the sympathies and concern. Kevin's not on
> this email list, but I've forwarded him (and several other people) the
> link to the web-based archive, so hopefully he will chime in. You can
> also post comments on his blog!
>
> jen
>

> jenSimmons
> http://www.jensimmons.com
> On Apr 24, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Michael Sullivan wrote:
>
> >  still waiting for Jen Simmons to chime in, as she apparently taught
> > him how to vlog.

> >> around a
> >> is

> >> I agree that simply assuming it's a hoax is perhaps a bit insensitive
> >> or callous, but wondering whether it's a hoax is understandable.
There
> >> have been countless strange stunts on the Internet, and given Kevin's
> >> particular body of work, it almost has to cross your mind. Whether
> >> it's a hoax or not, it's probably just a matter of time before it
> >> catalyzes a media debate about the limits of Web 2.0 in relation to
> >> appropriateness, responsibility, news, art, etc...
> >>
> >> andy
> >>

> >> Yahoo! Groups Links
> >>

> > --
> > Sull
> > http://vlogdir.com
> > http://SpreadTheMedia.org

> > Fireant
> > Individual
> > Use
> >
> > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >
> >       ▪        Visit your group "videoblogging" on the web.
> >       ▪        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> > Â [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >       ▪        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
> > Service.

Fireant Individual Use