Josh mentions that there are geeky (or hacker) ways to download videos from YouTube.

I use a very simple one.  I set my digital video camera on a tripod in front of my LCD screen (resolution 1800 by 1200) and videotape the few rare gems I find there.  I learned to do that when I tried to revisit some vlogs I thought were interesting and found they had been removed by YouTube or the person who posted them.

The "positive" attraction YouTube offers is the size of the viewing audience.  I only post vlogs there that I don't worry about maintaining exclusive ownership of.

One of my vlogs entitled "Transsexuals in Action", posted on February 3rd of this year has gotten a total of 65 views on Blip and 2,978 views on YouTube (forty-five times more views).  That vlog, which is footage from the first rally and march for transgendered rights in Greenwich Village last summer, has also generated a number of hate comments but has received a 3 1/2-star rating from viewers who voted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkqfH_1tyJc

I have only posted a few vlogs on YouTube.  Most of them are serious and haven't gotten such excessive views as has the above.  Yes, the title was crafted to be salaciously inviting and on YouTube it has obviously worked. I only wonder what those who posted hateful comments were looking for when they clicked the link.

Quality always finds its market and Blip TV is much better in that regard.  A vlog I did on both Blip and YouTube, "Women's Rights: A Worldwide Horror Story!", has received only 2 views on YouTube in the fifteen hours since I posted it but has gotten 92 hits on Blip and is near the top of Blip's "most watched" list. http://www.blip.tv/file/30495

You really have to be "immune" to the number of viewers and focus on producing the best product you can.  Some of my best vlogs have gotten fewer viewers than some of my worse.

I'd be interested in hearing about other experiences people have had with different hosting sites.

Randolfe (Randy) Wicker

Videographer, Writer, Activist
Advisor: The Immortality Institute
http://www.blip.tv/posts/?user=Randolfe%20Wicker