Hello,

On 5/7/06, wazman_au <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have a bunch of questions and thought I'd bundle them together, as
they all centre around customising my RSS feed depending on the
viewer's requirements.

I'm using WordPress, but not the latest version 'cos I've made lots
of tweaks and for the moment I'm happy with it.

1) Is it possible to have WordPress decide dynamically to send out a
different version of the feed, according to what client the user has,
eg iTunes, Ant?

That depends on how much PHP knowledge you have.  If you've you've got enough, you could just (re)write the feed component of Wordpress and get it to do whatever you want.

Stattraq tells me what client people use, but I don't
know how this data is collected or how to use it.

Probably from the "User-Agent" HTTP header the client sends to the server.

I imagine the above
could be done by some sort of PHP script that would process the above
info, then call and spit out the corresponding feed. Sadly I know
nothing of PHP.

Hmmm... then the answer is probably "no".

As an example, I might want to send out a .mov file for anyone who's
using iTunes or QuickTime, and a straight MPEG-4 file for all others.
Or I might like to tailor the content of a video depending on the
country of the viewer - is it possible to use their IP address to do
this?

Yes, you can tell what country a person comes from based on their IP address.  (Well, most of the time anyways.  Sometime many many people from different countries share the same gateway, which has one or a handlful of IP addresses.)

Here's what I use alot: http://ip2nation.com/

It's completely Free!  And is formated for MySQL.

(Of course, you got to do some PHP coding, or some other kind of coding to make use of it.)

2) Are there any good directories out there for users of the PSP who
are looking for podcasts, or free video content? I've found a bit of
info about 'PSPcasting' but it seems pretty fragmented at the moment.

video podcasting and PSPcasting are really the same thing.  (It goes by many other names too!)

However,... the thing to note is that iPod can only play M4V files; and PSP's can only play MP4 files.

So,... basically you have to check each site to see what the publisher is producing.  (Some produce only one of these.  Some produce both.  And some produce neither.)

Just as a side note, you may want to consider producing Ogg Theora in addition to whatever else you are producing...
http://maketelevision.com/log/why_ogg_theora_matters_for_internet_tv

3) What about directories for 3g content (i.e. playable on 3g mobile
phones)? Has anyone experimented with providing 3g versions? Did you
get much of a response? How/where did you distribute?

To be honest, I'm not really sure what formats are commonly supported on phones right now.

I believe there is a container format which (confusingly) goes by the name 3GPP.  (Just for comparison, other container formats include Ogg, QuickTime, and Mastroska.)

However, the more important question is what goes inside this 3GPP container format.  I.e., what codec is being use?  (That I don't know.)

To be honest, I don't like the whole 3GPP thing.  It's basically a replacement to the Internet where you have to pay for each and everything you do.

You want to send a text message -- the equivalent of an e-mail -- you have to pay.  You want to make a call, you have to pay.  You want to watch a video, you have to pay.  And don't even think about setting up the 3GPP equivalent of a website... or you'll really have to pay.

Honestly, I want wireless "phones" that hook onto the Internet (and NOT the cellular, GSM, or 3GPP networks).

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca