Hey Richard:

On the upper left-hand side of your sequence timeline there is a
little button with the letters "RT" and a downward facing carrot.

Set your timeline to "Unlimited RT"
Playback video quality to "Medium" or "Low"
Playback Frame-Rate to "Half" or "Quarter"

Now you don't have to render anything until you're happy with the
outcome. More process driven effects may have to be rendered though.
But it helps greatly.

Zadi
http://smashface.com/vlog
http://vidlicious.com