I've never used Spam-Karma, but Akismet was easy to install and has been working great for several months. :)

Also I recommend installing the WP Database backup plugin from:
http://www.skippy.net/blog/plugins/

That way if something really nasty happens you won't lose all your posts.  Just remember to back up once a month or so.

--
Adam Quirk
thepan.org