Hello Andres,

On 5/30/06, Andreas Haugstrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, 31 May 2006 01:45:24 +0200, Charles Iliya Krempeaux
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Although rel-enclosure is enough to tell you it is an enclosure (for all
> or
> part of the document it is contained within) is NOT enough to tell you
> that
> what it points to is a video.
>
> To do that you'd could use the <a> "type" attribute, as in...

I have been using the type attribute in combination with rel-enclosure
since 2004. I know it exists. I also know that it's a *hint* to what might
be expected at the end of a link ( <URL:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#adef-type-A > ). If you want
to know the content-type do a HEAD request, as a parser you can't trust
the type attribute.

In my case (with my _javascript_ thing) everything is done in browser.  And although one can do an HTTP HEAD request in some cases using XmlHttpRequest.  It can't be done when the video is on a different domain.

I use it to generate nicer archive pages on my blog so readers can see
what types of enclosures are included before clicking on. Example: <URL:
http://www.solitude.dk/archives/2006_05.php >

> However, that is NOT even enough.  Consider this example....

> In this case you don't know if the Ogg file contains video, audio, text,
> or
> what?  (Ogg, like QuickTime, Matroska, 3GPP, ASF, and others, is a
> container
> format that you can put all sort of different types of things into it.
> And
> not just video.  They don't even have to contain any video.)
>
> Thus, another means of semantics is needed.

I disagree. It is enough to know that you're looking at OGG content.
Content can then be handed off to the player application.

In my case (with my _javascript_ thing) everything is done in browser.  What is does is give each <a> that points to a video an "onclick" handler.  (When the link to the video is clicked, it creates a DHTML player to play the video, instead of just going to the video file.)

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca