On 6/4/06, Richard (Show) Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I don't usually get in on these, but this one really intrigues me ...
plus

Ah! I like that!

> nothing NEEDS context.

... For a "thing" to be a "thing" it needs context. What is a "thing"?
I couldn't tell you unless I had context, you see. None of any of this
makes sense without context.

Exactly. Who or what decides what that context is? A lengthy process to describe but much of that comes down to who is really in power. I'm talking about it in a bigger sense. In our case, we have values based much on how the system functions and keeps us all in line. This is not the place for me to elaborate on that as we could go on forever about it.

It seems like you are trying to say vlogs are bad because they are
interpreted within some context (they are "enculturated") ... This is
the same as saying, vlogs are perceived.

No. I didn't say vlogs are bad.  Having a  "shallow nature" is only one side of how a vlog can be perceived. It was something I question about my own vlog and have at times pulled stuff down as my perceptions of my own work sometimes change. So often when trolling for video blog visuals one comes upon a massive amount of material, that is in MY opinion, mundane and a waste of time for me to be viewing. It's hard to find consistently good stuff, so one trolls and looks for what one wants to see. There is so much out there to look at that it becomes overwhelming and tiresome.  And now... anyone can have a soap box to stand on and ponitificate without responsibility. I usually go in to a site with optimism, looking to validate. I don't find a lot of that yet.

by example. here is a list of sites I trolled through this morning. I got lucky. there is some good work on these sites. not all of it, but some. all based on my opinion and what my needs are. what i want to collect and record in my brain to be used in another fashion somehow as I may pontificate about to someone else another time.

http://www.blogwaves.com/

http://lookingglasslandvlog.blogspot.com/

http://www.kenyamoto.com/

http://www.escape.is/main.php?vlog

http://php.internet.is/levy/weareone/

http://blogger.xs4all.nl/videorep

http://php.internet.is/levy/weareone/cat/vcast/

There is this fundamental process, where an object impinges on a sense
organ - from than instant the "signal" is translated into a neural
signal, and intensely manipulated, and eventually it is "labeled" - it
is given meaning probably someone in association areas of the cortext
(in class, I used to say "then a miracle happens").

There is nothing that can be labeled or given meaning that is not
"enculterated".

The best we can do - the only thing we can do - is to recognize that
this process of subjective perception is "reality".

What we think of as "objective" and "emperical" is ultimately consensus.

I completely agree with you.

> you begin falacy at that point. as well as personal manipulation, in order
> to control your world around you.

... I guess I would want to know which part of Shannon's
thinking/agurments/perception would NOT be classified as "personal
manipulation" ... everything I'm saying and perceiving here is
certainly "personal manipulation" ... I can't imagine how it could be
otherwise ...

yes. exactly again. i'm not using my argument as accusation but as what i perceive as fact.  i do these things as well to  manipulate  and control my world as much as i can to get what i want.  there is a big hidden part of our existence here and now which can be attributed to the fact that the species does really only to things...eat and reproduce. Genes don't care about videoblogging.

> langauge is a tool.
>
> used to manipulate in order to get what you want.

.... I'm pretty sure what you wrote above would constitute
"language", so, it follows ... well, you know ...

... I would say that language is the great and fundamental abstraction
tool that allows us to function in the world ... and have interesting
discussions like this, I might add ...

yes yes yes!!!

i mean, we use this stuff in our vlogs. we generally "talk" in a vlog. speak. use our command of "linguistics" and continue and some of us are better at continuous sprays of dialogue and some are not. but i also look to be inspired. i look for a good model. the medium in a certain sense is so new that the lack thereof is to be expected.

i really like your response though.

... well, that was fun ... Richard

hey. aren't you the guy that did the piece about the two walnut trees?

Fireant Individual Typepad
Use