If you're on Mac, you may also want to check out Pd (PureData) -- its
similar program to Max/MSP (also developed by Miller Puckette), except
its free and open source.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Data>

I had been playing around with Pd a few years ago and OpenGL graphics
capabilities were still pretty new to Pd (check out the GEM extension,
Graphics Environment for Mutlimedia). I'm sure its come a long way and
may be much closer now to Jitter in terms of functionality. Plus if
you're learning, its great because Pd is free and Max/MSP/Jitter can
be expensive. The programming concepts in Pd and Max are almost
identical.

-Josh