Best solution is always this: get good sound in the first place. Bottom
line, after a few mistakes you'll begin to understand the limits of your
sound recording system and begin to act / shoot accordingly. Can't stress
this enough. Turn off the refrigerator, air conditioner, heating system,
etc., or move to a more quiet location. If you know you've got a bad
transient background sound (like a nearby bus going by) happening, get your
subject to say the line again.

Lavalier mics work because of  the 'promimity effect' - the mic is close to
the sound-making device - the speaker's mouth. Shotgun mics (either on a
boom pole or on the camera) work with both proximity and the cancellation
tube. A cancellation tube gathers unwanted sound from behind the mic as well
as from the front, and the two wave signals together cancel each other out
mathematically.

Bottom line: get whatever mic you've got as close to the mouth of your
speaker (or where the speaker's voice most strongly emanates, as in the PA
system for presentations) as possible, be conscious of background sounds and
deal with 'em, and hope for the best.

The hardest parts of getting good sound are to train your consciousness to
be aware of the background sounds, and then, to know what's a problem and
what isn't. That's why they pay production sound mixers the big bucks (not).
It takes years to learn all that, maintain the consciousness steadily 14
hours at a shot, and keep all the problem-solving tricks of the trade handy
- like how to shut off the compressor in a commercial cooler (requires some
dissembly).

XO,
Jan

On 11/29/06, Obreahny O'Brien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   I thought this was really cool:
>
> http://www.paulcolligan.com/2006/10/17/levelator-hack-1-levelate-your-garageband-podcast-in-4-simple-steps/
> You can levelate your garageband podcast to improve sound quality. I just
> got my mac today, so i'm going to play around with that.
>
> On 11/28/06, Kary Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <kr%40kmrogers.net>> wrote:>>
> I've used Levelator with good results. The specific cases that I used> it
> for were recordings at a theatre with nothing but the built in> camera
> microphone. You could hear the audience laughing easily but the> people on
> stage, not so much. I extracted the audio, ran it through> Levelator and
> then imported the resulting "levelated" audio file.>>
> http://www.gigavox.com/levelator>> HTH,>> -kr>> On Nov 28, 2006, at 8:42
> PM, Angus McIntyre wrote:>> > Can anyone recommend a tool for improving
> sound quality on recorded> > video? Something that's optimized for speech
> would be the preferred> > choice, and Macintosh freeware would be ideal. A
> friend wants to> > clean up a recording of a presentation and says that the
> speaker's> > voice is almost unintelligible due to poor recording quality.>
> the footage myself, I'm only going by what she says - so any hints or> >
> tools that might improve the appearance of poor-quality camcorder> > footage
> would also be welcome.> >> > Thanks,> >> > Angus>> --> Kary Rogers>
> http://karyhead.com>> >-- [Non-text portions of this message have been
> removed]

The Faux Press - better than real
http://fauxpress.blogspot.com