On 11/30/06, Matt Savarino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "Deirdre Straughan"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, I run my website www.beginningwithi.com as a website, because I
> > started it that way years ago, and I don't like the lack of navigational
> > structure in (default) blog templates.
>
> You can "theme" your blog templates to look however you want.
> I agree standard page design is boring.
> There is a common nav (dates) for blogs.
> Most sites use the same layout...
> top-horizontal nav w/ a left-right vertical nav.

It's not just that, it's that blogs don't allow for the kind of information
architecture I am used to doing, or at least they don't without a lot more
work on templates than I am able to do.  I find it difficult to impossible
to find older articles on most blogs, and I don't want that to happen to my
readers. My material doesn't go out of date, so it all needs to be easy to
find.

Plus, even if I wanted to, it would be a hell of a lot of work to port my
site to a blog format now - the site has been running for 5 and a half
years, with over 600 pages and more being added daily.

So I appreciate the offer of help, but it's not worth it to me - I've got
what I want for now. Just need to figure out some wrinkles like how to
hand-code images into my RSS feed so that they show up in feed readers, as a
teaser for when I do photo spreads.

Another advantage to doing my site the way I do it is that I can work on it
without a live Internet connection. Since I commute by train over two hours
each day, I can use that time to write and otherwise prepare pages for the
site, then I get to the office or home, hop online, and FTP all the changed
pages to the site.

There are virtues in being old-fashioned. <grin>

> > I did try a third-party comment app similar to the one mentioned
> > a year or so back, but it does not embed comments in the page,
> > so my own kludge solution is just about as good.
>
> The app mentioned was WordPress and that is what you are using.

No, it was something else that installed as javascript and then popped up a
window, very similar to the newer app described in the article someone
linked to. I abandoned that in favor of WP some months ago.

It would be much better to use a data-driven app.

--
best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

www.beginningwithi.com (personal)