The Onion is a classic example of a big site using Drupal. The site is
currently in the top 2000 sites on Alexa's traffic ranking.
http://www.theonion.com/

More Drupal sites are listed here...
http://www.drupalsites.net/

By no means do I universally recommend Drupal, however, it is a very
good option for those stuck between Blogger/WordPress and building a
custom system.  As mentioned before, Joomla is another option.

Not sure what you are suggesting Mike, other than don't use Drupal. Do
you not like CMSes, or are you suggesting custom systems?

If a person has the programming skills to build a custom system, I
highly recommend they at least look at Drupal first.

Rather than building systems from the ground up for each project,
Drupal provides a common foundation with a lot of module
functionality.  The CCK and Views modules make things very fast,
flexible and easy.  Themeing and adding new modules is probably the
biggest hurdle, but it is very flexible once you get past the learning
curve.

Anyways, this is all just a suggestion.  Personally, I don't like
Joomla.  It may be more visually appealing out-of-the-box, but the
code framework is messy compared to Drupal.

Feel free to email me offlist if you want to talk more.

-Matt
http://vlogmap.org

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Van Dijck"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "I can think of -- off the top of my head -- at least five
> projects that either failed or were significantly damaged because of
> their choice of Drupal as their CMS"
>
> I can think of 3 that I know of personally. So yes, "Drupal considered
> dangerous for startups" is probably a fair warning. But it's not really
> meant for startups. Or it shouldn't be. I also know of a few social
sites
> that use it successfully and have loads of users. But they've been
around,
> they are not startups really.
>
> Peter
>
> On 12/6/06, Mike Hudack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   Yeah, it was uncharacteristicallyharsh, it's true. But I stand by my
> > statement. I can think of -- off the top of my head -- at least five
> > projects that either failed or were significantly damaged because of
> > their choice of Drupal as their CMS. Drupal looks great. It looks like
> > it has everything that you need to start a significantly powerful
social
> > Web site out of the box, and it looks like it's significantly
extensible
> > such that you can add new functionality easily. It even looks like it
> > scales.
> >
> > Well, the features that it does have were designed by software
> > developers without end users in mind. Its code is poorly documented
> > spaghetti that has gotten more programmers into trouble (and nasty
> > back-end rats nests of code bases) than I care to count. And it
doesn't
> > scale. I've had more than a couple late-night beer-fueled sessions
> > where CTOs and directors of development cry on my shoulder about their
> > decisions to use Drupal.
> >
> > So, like I say, I think we'd be better off without it. Drupal is
like a
> > Siren (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren).
> >
> > Yours,
> >
> > Mike

<videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>

<videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com><videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>>

<mike%40blip.tv><mike%40blip.tv>> wrote:

> [...]
<groups-yahoo-com%40mmeiser.com><groups-yahoo-com%40mmeiser.com>