You know I've got to say. This whole Akimbo thing is antithetical to
the whole point of videoblogging.

I'd never by an akimbo box because I can't subscribe to my friends
videoblogs on it.

Vlogs are not shows.  No random akimbo user is going to just say, "oh
I want to see the mike meiser show."   There going to say "I want to
watch my friend bob's and jane, and jill's vlogs on my akimbo"... and
the answer is... nope sorry.

It's bankrupt, pointless, and it completely need not be.

I'd never by one and I'm willing to bet no one on this group has ever
bought them with the idea of watching vlogs... since there's what a
half dozen options.

This is the same dilema that faces cell phone carriers.  They all want
to be cable operators and broker exclusive deals for every piece of
content that comes across this platform, but this isn't the cable
paradigm, it's the internet paradigm.

It makes about as much sense buying an Akimbo that plays only vlogs
they approve as it would make to buy an iPod that didn't play mp3's
but only music from the apple music store.

I realize that cable is f'd up backwards, but why oh why can't people
get this. They make hardware for craps sake!  They need to sell
hardware!  You make your hardware relevent by making it play as much
crap as possible... even if you think it's crap... it's what your
users want.

Heh, Akimbo, my friend bob has 3 viewers, and I'm one of them, I want
to watch it on the Akimbo, what's the deal yo!

Anyway, I'm preaching to the choir. Perhaps I should talk to them.
Anyone got a contact there?

I've talked to a half dozen set top box managers, they all ask the
same question.  Who's going to be the editor, who's going to keep the
porn out, who's going, to approve the content.  How do the content
makers get paid.

Look your a damn freaking media player, you're not a cable network,
your a commodity hardware player. You're behaving like Sony did with
their A-trac player.... oh never heard of that!?  Well that's because
it was sony's attempt at an iPod but it didn't play anything sony
didn't approve for it. Sony offers Britney Spears... I want the
Dropkick murphy's guess I'm SOL... No, noone in their right mind would
buy such a device to listen to music, and noone would buy and akimbo
to watch akimbo's approved selection of vlogs.

It sounds exactly like Gootube's deal with Verizon to deliver a
"selection" of youtube to cell phone.  Except atleast gootube has a
huge market.  Who's going to pay $15 a month to NOT watch any of their
friends youtube videos, but whatever google and verizon decide to make
available.  How may people will pa $15 a month to watch viral crap...
there's only so many videos one can watch of people getting kicked in
the balls before they'll get bored.

So, no offense to steve garfield, beach walks with rocks and
rocketboom, but  who the hell is going to buy akimbo to watch them.

And you could say it's just 'added value" not akimbo's main point of
business. But WTF, it makes about as much business sense to offer a
half dozen vlogs, or even four dozen vlogs. Was it really worth their
time and effort in overhead to make these exclusive partnerships with
vlogs?  I HIGHLY doubt it.

It's been over a year, maybe two since akimbo first played a vlog.
The honeymoon period is over. It's time for Akimbo to shit or get off
the pot. It's got to be everything or it mine as well be nothing.

I'm not being mean, I'm being pragmatic and honest. I say the idea of
akimbo is bankrupt, because it is, they're wasting everyone's time and
money with this approach and I can't even understand why blip is
bothering to waste anytime at all in partnering with Akimbo untill
they support everyone's vlog.

I mean, raise your hand if you love blip and are an uber blip fan?

Mine is raised, Anyone else?

Now raise you're hand if you'll EVER buy an Akimbo to watch "select blip vlogs".

Akimbo needs to support EVERY blip user's vlog, and it needs to
support EVERY vlog... or as many as it technically can.  But if I'm
correct these road blocks are not technical, they're beuracratic and
editorial.

Of the set top manufacturers I've talked to they're starting to get
the idea that in order for their platforms to be valueable their USERS
will need to be able to choose what they want to watch, and the new
expectation is that will be anything on the net.

So, does Akimbo they still just support mpeg1?    They just need to
get a minimal of mp4 support like the N Series nokias, the iPod, and
the PSP to get a start.  If they can do MOV, and WMV all the better,
but unecissary.

Speaking of which. Does the Akimbo support mp3?  The Akimbo could make
a GREAT podcatcher, Which is to say it could make a GREAT aggregator/
player of audio podcasts.

There's absolutely no theoretical reason why I can't walk into my
house hit the power button on the TV and scroll through a list of the
absolute latest podcasts from my favorite subscriptions and just hit
play.

But there are over 100 thousand podcasts... is Akimbo going to broker
deals with all of them?  Are they going to presume they know what the
ten, or 20, or 100, or even 1000 best are for their customers.  Am I
going to get a sanitized list of Akimbo approved podcasts, or are they
just going to get a clue and open up their box so the people can
listen to what THEY want to listen to.

This is not cable TV... the value isn't in the top 10% of TV shows,
it's been said time and time again, the value is in the mother fu'in
tail!

Well, I've gone this far, so I mine as well go all the way.

I've been talking about this infinitely over at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mobilemediaworkgroup/

There's a very simple solution

1) support RSS2.0 w/enclosures and mediaRSS on the device

2) build either a simple web based API, or if you got the skills put a
basic web browser with the capability to idenitfy and subscribe to RSS
feeds

There's no need for a directory... there are plenty from odeo, to
mefeedia, to a hundred others.   A hardware maker should NOT be trying
to make their own guide to the web... it's way out of their core
competency... this is exactly what AOL did... and it got it's aarse
kicked trying to compete with 100,000 other webs and search services
like yahoo and google that sprung up.  Microsoft is making the same
mistake with their portal.  Netscape made it with their search and
directory.  And these are major players, not independant or OEM
harware companies.

As an alternative to point #2 if you don't even have a browser on your
hardware that's not a problem.

Just tie the harware to a webservice, and build a web API.

It's actually much more intelligent to give your users a web based
interface for managing the subscriptions on their Akimbo.  Why?
Because it's MUCH easier to update and improve a webservice then it is
the firmware on piece of hardware in someone's living room.

Simply put the web based API should have a sinlge click button API and
maybe a browser bookmarklet like every web based subscription
management service from bloglines to itunes, to Democracy, to
mefeedia.

Let the web and all it's various services do all the work. There's
pleny of search engines and directories who's core competency is
making sense out podcasts and video blogs.

Anyway, I'm harsh, but hopefully people can appreciate that I'm just
trying to keep it real. I don't dislike Akimbo... what I dislike is
huge missed opportunities.

I want a freaking press release that says "Akimbo brings 100% of video
blogs and podcasts to your TV"...   Now THAT might might sell some
freaking Akimbo's... or at the very least show up on the top ten list
of things you can do with your Akimbo.... not "akimbo allows you to
view *select* videoblogs".

Anyway, I want to see it happen... so I offer my services Akimbo and
anyone with  hardware to see it happen.  Growing the platform for
videoblogging and podcasting *beyond the desktop* is a tremendously
important next step for the vlogging and podcasting space. It will
explode the value of such things, change the whole dynamic of the
media world.  As vlogs and podcasts and photocasts become a ubiquitous
part of our everyday lives it will literally change the world media
scape.  It will enhance the COMMUNICATIONS value of videoblogging and
podcasting, which is what this is all about, not merely news and
entertainment and viral video.

But it is ALL or nothing. Every videoblog and audio podcast or
nothing. Not because I say so... because I'm just some average schmo
(or was that shmoo ;), but because without every podcast and videoblog
having access to these new platforms like akimbo, they ARE nothing.
The true test is simply, can I subscribe to my friend Bill Streeter,
Jay Dedman, Chris Weagel, Ryanne, [insert your friend's name here] on
this device. If the device is NO to ANY of the above then why would
you buy this mother fucking device.

Amen.

Peace out mother fuckers.  I love a good saturday rant.

:)

P.S.  So Mike H.  So my case has been said. I love blip. But why did
you waste any time with Akimbo if Akimbo hasn't give any indication
they're interested in supporting the entire vlogosphere... It would
seem like me to be a misallocation of resources, no matter how easy to
impliment.  A mean, why waste your time on something that shouldn't
even be on your top 20 list of bulleted features.  Unless,  is Akimbo
paying you?

-Mike
mmeiser.com/blog
mefeedia.com

Disclaimer: You all know this is just my stage character right?  :)

Please feel free to forward this to Akimbo, or whomever your favorite
hardware manufacturer is or blog it.. though I seriously doubt it's
worthiness to blog.