johnleeke wrote:
 > Chris Car in Montreal has had his video posting website:
 > http://stars-of-the-web.net/en
 > up for nearly a year, where you can now post replies by audio and
 > video too. This is vloging and video replies directly from your webcam.

That's true... the Macromedia Flash Communications Server (now the Adobe
Flash Media Server) has enabled two-way audio/video communication for
years. The first person to do a commenting app like this was Phillip
Kerman, back in May 2002:
http://www.phillipkerman.com/machine/

For me, the signficance of this piece of YouTube news is the movement
past static, one-way video, into true multi-party, interactive
communications. The TV model helped during the first stages of casual
video, but there's an awful lot of room to grow yet.

Grant Skinner has been doing some of the most innovative interactive
webcam work... if you've got a webcam on your computer, and a recent
version of Adobe Flash Player 9, then see how he adds interactive
graphics programming to turn you into The Human Torch, or have
snowflakers settle on your arms:
http://www.gskinner.com/blog/archives/2005/11/flash_8_webcam_1.html
http://www.gskinner.com/blog/archives/2005/08/flash_8_webcam.html

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd