Here's what I do:
I use iPhoto to store all the clips and photos from my xacti. It tells me
how much space my library takes up. So I can keep selecting some "film
rolls" until they add up to about 4GB and then I burn them to DVD right in
iPhoto.
I also export a full DV copy of my edited videos from Final Cut Pro. I do
this for two reasons - 1. Final Cut Pro's "export with Quicktime conversion"
sucks because it never remembers your settings so I compress the full DV
clip with QuickTime Pro (it remembers your settings). 2. I store all of
those full DV clips in a folder until I've got about 4GB of them and then I
back them up on a DVD.

So the end result is I've got a bunch of iPhoto library discs that are
organized by date with the original Xacti clips and I've got another bunch
of DVDs with full DV copies of video on them. Usually there are only 6 - 8
videos on those discs so I just write the names of the videos on the discs.

-Michael