Well, I'll add some totally unrelated experience and analysis.

I play Frisbee with my dogs. We do it at an elite level. If you've
seen discdogs on TV more than once, you've most likely seen me and
some of my dogs.

Discdoggers have had a very rough time as a community. Talk about
fractious, petty and downright nasty, some of our history makes
Amanda & Andrew look like a kids spat.

Anyway, let me share with you my understanding of the problems in our
community, and how and why I think it went down. I've seen the same
things play out in Japan and Europe, in the discdog community, and I
am sure that it is some kind of human dynamic when it comes to semi-
professional knowledge and talent based endeavors.

OK.

So, in the mid-90s, we had a couple of creative personalities that
started doing a lot of training, and they were good at it. These
creative people were good friends and shared their knowledge freely.
Each person benefitted from this shared knowledge and their
relationship.

Needless to say there was some kind of split, and each creative
person went their own way. Taking their knowledge, their 'stuff',
that they once shared freely with them. It became 'my stuff'  - 'my
knowledge' . "He is taking my stuff." "He didn't come up with that,
that's my stuff."

Both of these people started to teach and to develop their own
organizations based upon 'their stuff'. 'Stuff' that they developed
together. Now "She is profiting from my stuff!"  and vice versa.

Because it is a small community, and personal relationships are the
glue that hold it together, factions developed based upon each
person's clique. These factions grew to large percentages of the
community, as one could barely do anything without encountering one
faction or the other.

One of the main focuses of the split were on making money: "I don't
want my money going to that organization." "I don't want to pay his
bills." This soon got out of hand, and the one thing that could not
be done was to do something for profit within the community. Somebody
would get pissed off and cause a stink. Then their friends would hop
on the bandwagon, and the project would get shut down because it was
too much of a hassle.

Discdogging is a real passion for people, and changes to the ability
to express and engage in that passion are a serious issue to all
members of the community.

That's it, in a nutshell, I think. I think that this comes into play
in this community as well.

"I taught Verdi how to do that! Now he's writing a book."
"Dude, Hudack got that idea from me."

and so on.

As people split off and take away the knowledge that was freely given
and shared, and profit from it, it causes problems. Add to it the
'sellout factor' for BIG MONEY, and we have some serious opportunity
for nastiness. "That no-talent Congdon..." and so on...

So that's what I think the dynamic is, and I don't think it bodes
well for free and open collaboration. In fact, I'm surprised that
this community is as open and free as it is still. I really hope that
continues, as I have learned boatloads from this community and hope
to do so long into the future.

I hope nobody took offense at my purposefully clumsy statements of
fake-fact. I was simply trying to make a point.

Some of my solutions to this dynamic, in the disdog world, which is
still an ongoing endeavor:

Make sure that I always remember who taught me what, and cite it,
like a footnote:
"Marcus Wolff taught me this." "I learned this one from Craig
Rogers." etc.

Do good by the community:
I have given lots of people lots of stuff for free. I am always
approachable and available at events, and I even go out of my way to
help people out. If they are working on something and I can help
them, I bust on in and help them.

Speak up when something needs to be said:

  and say the things that are on the community's mind but are not
getting exposure. Steve Elbows is a good example in this group.

Anyway, I just thought I would share some of my experience in this
thread, as I do believe it is applicable to the situation with online
video distribution and specifically with the lack of collaborative
energy right now.

Cheers,
Ron

Last year, Network2 probably would have gotten