Steve-

Having just been in Japan for the first time a month ago, I must say
that I was most surprised by the deepness and gentleness of the
repressive culture, but also of how people are able to justify the
codes to themselves.

This could just be a product of the language, as anything with any
certainty spoken could get your head cut off in the old days, but I
found it interesting how they have absorbed Western culture and not
absorbed it at all at the same time.

As far as any openness for vlogging and such, I ran into young
creative Japanese while I was there who were as you say, more
interested in their immediate shadow then broadcasting themselves to
the world.

But what I also found was a curiosity for new kinds of experiences as
well, and curiosity for culture and enriching themselves in their own
culture. This means to me that especially the young Japanese are open
to see new things, but not necessarily interested in some kind of
narcissism or need to share their perspective with the world.

The Japanese filmmakers that I met there were more interested in just
being a cog in the structure, rather than being strident, but my
experience was limited.

Though I must say that the most impressive people I met there were
some Japanese and Chinese visual artists who are creating their own
style that is different and totally distinct.

I don't know, maybe it's just a matter of time, but I think that young
Japanese are very open to viewing vlogs and such. I don't know if
there is such a thing as an "international universal style" but maybe
there doesn't have to be. As you know, Japan is all about niche. Just
look at a news stand.

-Sean

--
Artsmash