i think you are right, steve.
during the presentation, being stunned a bit, i didnt think of the lockdown
approach right away, especially when he said it runs OSX as if he meant
OSX.
as it ended, my speculations and questions started to come to mind.
in all liklihood, this is indeed a locked down device.
:(

On 1/9/07, Steve Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Cheers,
>
> Hmm 320x480 is obviously a lot better than 320x240 ipods, but
> pocketpc's are typically 640x480 so thats a bit dissapointing in a way.
>
> Thinking about the OS X angle further, I'll go out on a limb and bet
> that, at least initially, Apple keep the device pretty locked down in
> terms of what can be run on it. Also what CPU the iPhone has is
> conspicuously missing from the spec, and will have a major bearing on
> compatibility. I will watch Apple developer stuff to see if its ever
> mentioned.
>
> And quite apart from technical reasons for limiting compatibility and
> locking down, I suspect they will like to avoid people having 'hacked'
> phones that can be used without itunes, with different formats etc. To
> be fair they arent calling it a pocket mac so lets not set the bar too
> high for them.
>
> Meanwhile on the Apple TV front, I see thats out in February (same in
> the UK, phew), and the supported format details are:
>
> Video
>
> * • Video formats supported: H.264 and protected H.264 (from
> iTunes Store): 640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile; 320
> by 240, 30 fps, Baseline profile up to Level 1.3; 1280 by 720, 24 fps,
> Progressive Main Profile. MPEG-4: 640 by 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile
>
> Audio
>
> * • Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps); protected AAC
> (from iTunes store); MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps); MP3 VBR; Apple Lossless;
> AIFF; WAV
>
> Photos
>
> * • Photo formats supported: JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PNG
>
> No huge surprises there I guess, its an extension of what theyve done
> before with ipod & itnues video.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve Elbows

> "Enric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > The iPhone specs:
> >
> > http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html
> >
> > Technical Specifications
> > Screen size 3.5 inches
> > Screen resolution 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
> > Input method Multi-touch
> > Operating system OS X
> > Storage 4GB or 8GB
> > GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
> > Wireless data Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
> > Camera 2.0 megapixels
> > Battery
> >
> > * Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing
> > * Up to 16 hours Audio playback
> >
> > Dimensions 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm
> > Weight 4.8 ounces / 135 grams
> >
> > -- Enric
> >
> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "Steve Watkins" <steve@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Although he didnt make it clear whether its a subset of OSX, what the
> > > compatibility is like, whether users will have the ability to load
> > > what they want on it. Skype for example.
> > >
> > > It must be a cut-down version in some way or it would take an annoying
> [...]

Sull
http://vlogdir.com (a project)
http://SpreadTheMedia.org (my blog)
http://interdigitate.com (otherly)