OK, guys, I've found the problem.  If your thumbnail is bigger than a
certain max_size (which is set in our configuration files) we resize it
to a new size, which is much smaller than that max size.  We do this
principally to keep from screwing up people's blog layouts, and also
because people have a habit of sometimes uploading mammoth 13 megapixel
images as their thumbnails.

The code itself is working okay, but it looks like our configuration
settings could use some tweaks.  How does 640 x 480 sound as a new max
size / resize target?