I just recently watched the documentary "The Future of Food".
If you want a dose of true patent absurdity and corporate abuse... watch it.
Gets into patenting "life" via genetics, as it relates to agriculture
mostly.

Sick World.

On 1/11/07, Steve Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Ive read about it elsewhere and the patent seems real enough.
>
> For me the biggest absurdity is the patent system in general, that
> lets these over-generalised patents be granted in the first place.
>
> We can only hope that saner attitudes prevail if/when this one comes
> to court.
>
> An even more extreme example I recall from the past was here in the
> UK, BT the telecoms giant thought that an old patent they had was
> describing the very concept of hyperlinks, and that they should
> therefore be considered the patent-holders for that rather essential
> web technology. It didnt stand up in court.
>
> Anybody know much about the differences between European and US patent
> law? I believe that in the US you are allowed to patent 'business
> processes', something thats not true on this side of the pond. And
> then more recently there was some hoohar about whether the EU would
> accept software patents, cant remember what happened with that
> 'initiative', think it stalled for now.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve Elbows

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Is this true!?
> >
> > Because if it is this is the hieght of absurdity and I know a WHOLE
> > lot of people who will want to here about it so they can laugh and
> > laugh... and then cry.
> >
> > It's the first I've heard of such a thing, that's for sure.
> >
> > -Mike
> > mmeiser.com/blog
> >

> > On 1/9/07, WWWhatsup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >

> > > http://www.out-law.com/page-7623
> > >
> > > Google, Apple and Napster are being sued over their online video
> businesses
> > > by a company that stopped offering internet video years ago.
> Intertainer
> > > holds a patent that it says is being infringed by some of the tech
> world's
> > > biggest names.
> > >
> > > The company now only consists of two people, according to press
> reports, but
> > > it will seek to assert its patent rights in a Texas court after
> filing an
> > > action on 29th December. It had applied for a patent covering
> internet video
> > > distribution, and that was awarded in 2005.
> > >
> > > Intertainer was founded in 1996 to distribute films over the
> internet and
> > > won investment from Sony, Microsoft and Intel. It stopped that
> business in
> > > 2002.
> > >
> > > The company holds nine patents, and the current action is based on
> US patent
> > > number 6,925,469, which covers the distribution and management of
> digital
> > > media files.
> > >
> > > Intertainer is seeking an injuction and unspecified damages from
> the three
> > > companies and it is thought likely that it will pursue further
> suits if this
> [...]

Sull
http://vlogdir.com (a project)
http://SpreadTheMedia.org (my blog)