Hi Adrian,

I know I sound grumpy and ungrateful.  The BBC are amazing, and
leading the way.  I'm moaning about two things 1) that they are
obsessed with DRM, from what I hear from friends inside and 2) they
are making their distribution technology based on this obsession.
The BBC archive is potentially an incredible resource, but it looks
like it will be locked up.  One of the reasons I'm concerned is that
the BBC do set such an example to other organisations.

Also, it could get in the way of what they will surely want to do at
some point in the near future - make their videos and media fully
networkable from within - not just embed it dumbly in a page or pump
out inert podcasts.  I have always thought the BBC would be the most
likely to start developing major hypervideo projects, and I'm worried
that they haven't thought this far ahead in their technology choices,
because they're just concerned with DRM.  Unnecessarily, I think.

And you mentioned their internal realignment - they're making good
steps in some places, but while they talk the talk as far as multi-
platform content, there's still a long way to go.  The cultures
within are still TV, Radio, Web in isolation, and then the genres
within that - drama series, drama serials, docs, news, etc - and as
in all organisations most people feel threatened by change and don't
understand the web.  A lot of computers in the BBC won't play BBC
videos.  And there are some bright sparks in management, but
apparently there's a lot of ignorance and empire-building, too.  Add
to this the regulator's concerns, posted by Steve yesterday - a
regulator heavily influenced by the commercial channels.  I just want
to question whether these things are being done right.

Oh, God, I'm sounding grumpy again.

Rupert